We made a last minute decision to go camping in Cape Hatteras, NC on Memorial Day weekend. We knew it could be a terrible disaster with 2 small kids...7 hours away...in a tent...no electricity...cold water showers (the kind that take your breath away cold)...but we thought "what the heck" it could be totally wonderful too!
And it was, wonderful that is, especially with the help of Grandma Peggy and Grandpa John who bravely (or naively:) jumped in the boat with us! The trip reaffirmed my love for the beach and camping, however not my love of the OBX (outerbanks). And I am now questioning the mission and responsibilities of the National Park Service and our government's efforts on preservation. More on that later...
We woke the kids up at 2am (yes, that's right) expecting them to fall back asleep in the car. It's all trial and error at this point, right?! Sophie stayed awake the entire drive- 7 hours. When we finally arrived the campsite was full! Lesson learned- come a day earlier on a holiday weekend. Luckily we waited for a bit and someone checked out. Phew! Radim and Sophie passed out after the long drive...
While they slept Hen entertained...
Hen playing in the tent...
Our campsite...
The view from our campsite. Just over the dunes is the beach...
The reason for my new disdain of the OBX (at least the areas managed by NPS)...
Yes, those are cars. As far as the eye can see. I was in utter shock. On a daily basis I worry about my children getting hit by a car...the last place I should have to think about this is at the BEACH! Not to mention the impact this has on the environment. Ugh.
Beach traffic...
The several passings of a certain flag served as a reminder of our first amendment rights and that we had crossed the Mason-Dixon...
Okay. That's all I will say about that. The next post I promise to have pictures of why the trip was so wonderful! So stay tuned...




0 comments:
Post a Comment